Scenes from a weekend.

After a week of rain & gloomy weather, the sun was out this weekend, as were we.  There were selfies taken with the Great Pumpkin outside of Standard Produce, strange melons were anonymously left on the front porch, the discovery of the deer finally leaving some goodies for us to harvest from our community garden space and much fun was had at Saturday’s IXTOBERFEST over at the Ix Art Park.  Who knew so many people in Charlottesville had lederhosen?  I’m now convinced there is a secret lederhosen store, because at least three young men were seen sporting the exact same lederhosen.  The highlight of the entire afternoon was the circle of lederhosen, led by a belly dancer, doing the chicken dance as played by the gypsy polka band.  I’m still smiling at the thought. It was exactly the sort of Charlottesville vibe I hadn’t seen in too long and it was good to feel it.  How good?  I actually let Edie out of my sight in public for a few minutes, the first time since Hannah Graham went missing. I am both saddened and relieved her parents have some closure after Saturday afternoon’s discovery.
If Saturday was wake up and go, Sunday was a little lazier, with a lovely brunch of Mexican baked eggs with avocado and heirloom corn muffins.  I roasted a slew of hot peppers, some of which went into a jar to ferment for hot sauce while the rest got chopped and throw in ice cube trays in the freezer, to be dropped into dishes all winter long. Space was made in the freezer by pulling out a peach pie and baking it while Pat worked on the man cave, adding some new lights. The candied citron finally dried enough to be put into jars, wrapping up the last of that particular project.  All in all, a most satisfying autumn weekend.

11 thoughts on “Scenes from a weekend.

1. nrhatch says:

“The highlight of the entire afternoon was the circle of lederhosen, led by a belly dancer, doing the chicken dance as played by the gypsy polka band.”

Great image and images! Sounds like a FUN weekend.

• Becky says:

It really was. The only thing that would have made it better had I been offered those free beer tickets before I was heading out and the beers in question not been $6. Oh well, it was still a darn good time. Gypsy polka, lederhosen, chicken dances. You just can’t go wrong with that combo.

2. suzicate says:

Great photos. Great vibes in C’ville, not so much in Batesville which is where we went in search of an apple butter festival…no, they wanted us to MAKE the apple butter. Since we weren’t in the mood to peel, chop, etc…the apples ourselves we headed to old faithful Drumhellers apple festival in Nelson, fun but not the vibes at your digs! And oh my, that pumpkin-I’ve never seen one that big; could’ve been used for Cinderella’s coach!

• Becky says:

I’ve never seen one that big either!
      Bummer about the first festival. Glad Drumhellers came through for you, even if there weren’t a plethora of artsy Charlottesville types in lederhosen.

3. The Zero-Waste Chef says:

I misread your title and thought it said “Scones from the weekend.” I couldn’t find them, but the pie at the bottom looks better than any scone. (Time to get my eyeglass prescription changed.) Looks like a fruitful and fun weekend. Mmmm, candied citron.

4. Patience says:

That is one massive pumpkin. We considered going to Oktoberfest, but I was feeling cranky and anti-social. I did see someone stumbling down Avon St later at night, wearing Lederhosen!